Recent Fire Damage Posts

What To Do Immediately If a Fire Starts

8/14/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage What To Do Immediately If a Fire Starts Fires can become unmanageable quickly.

If a fire starts, it is understandable to feel anxious. Here are some tips on what to do in case a fire breaks out in your home. 

Learn how to safely operate a fire extinguisher

There are a multitude of ways in which you can learn how to operate a fire extinguisher. Talk to your local fire department or access their website for more information.

GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL 9-1-1

Do not stay inside when a fire is happening. If you cannot put it out safely by yourself, contact the authorities!

Yell “Fire!” loudly as you exit

Alerting others of the situation will improve their chances of getting out in time. This could save lives. Leave all your belongings and exit the area.

Go low

If your only exit route is contaminated with smoke, get low to the ground all the way to the exit. Always close doors behind you.

If smoke, heat or flame block your exit, stay in the room

Close the doors and place a wet rag under the door. Call the fire department and give them your exact location. Open a window, try to signal attention or flash a light to signal that you need help.

Follow your family emergency communication plan

Having a family emergency communication plan in place takes unnecessary stress out of stressful situations. Make sure you update your rendezvous spots often in order to avoid mix-ups. If you inhaled smoke, get the necessary medical attention and be sure to rest and assess how you are physically doing.

Fires are unpredictable, it is a good idea to not only have fire detection systems in place but also fire suppression systems. Our team can meet your needs here on Oah’u! We offer safety, maintenance and other services to keep you, your family and your home safe.

Call us at (808) 235-5015 or visit our website:https://www.SERVPROcentralhonolulu.com/

7 Common Causes of Fire at Home

8/5/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage 7 Common Causes of Fire at Home Cigarettes are one of the leading causes of fire at home.

To better prevent fires, it is important to know the leading causes for them so the proper measures can be taken! Get to know common household practices that can cause and propagate fires.

  • Smoking

According to the National Fire Prevention Association, the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States are cigarettes. A great majority of the fires starts with incandescent ashes or cigarette butts falling into upholstered surfaces. If you smoke, dispose of your ashes properly! Make sure the cigarette is completely out before tossing it into the garbage.

  • Children and Animals

If children or pets are left unattended in the same room as a lit candle, the risks of a fire increase greatly. Make sure to put out candles if you are not in the room with an unattended pet or child. Lighters and matches should similarly not be in close reach of any child. 

  • Dryers

Lint is a great fire-starter. Keep your dryer clean and well-maintained to avoid sparks that could evolve into a fire. Clean your lint filter after each load to minimize risks.

  • Portable Space Heaters

Portable heaters account for a third of all house fires. Make sure flammable items are kept at least 4 feet away from the space heaters. Heaters should not be left unattended or on overnight.

  • Cooking

A lot of house fires happen as a result of using cooking oils, fryers and improper use of microwaves. Never leave a child unattended while cooking, especially if using cooking oil or higher temperatures. Always make sure your stovetop or oven is completely turned off before leaving the kitchen. Keep flames away from loose clothing, paper, and other fabrics

  • Flammable Liquids

Common sense as it may be, keep flammable cleaning agents, paints and adhesives away from heat sources of any kind. Keep them in a ventilated area that is cool.

  • Fireplaces

If you have a fireplace at your home, get it checked out yearly to ensure it is in proper working order. Do not go to sleep with your fireplace on and utilize a screen to prevent sparks from flying off the fire.

If fire damage happens to your property, our team can meet your needs here on Oah’u! We offer safety, maintenance and other services to keep you, your family and your home safe.

Call us at (808) 235-5015 or visit our  website: https://www.SERVPROcentralhonolulu.com/

4 Things You Need to Know About Home Fire Sprinklers

8/4/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage 4 Things You Need to Know About Home Fire Sprinklers Home fires can be prevented

The lion’s share of fire deaths occurs in the home. Fire sprinklers are an effective tool which can save lives and diminish property damage. Many times, a fire sprinkler will extinguish the fire prior to the arrival of the fire department. Check out four facts about home sprinkler systems:

  • A home fire sprinkler system can cause homeowner’s insurance premiums to be lower.

The investment in a fire sprinkler system for your home pays off in great ways. Not only you will be able to have more peace of mind knowing you are adding a layer of protection to your home and belongings, your homeowner’s insurance premium may be lower as well.

  • Fire sprinklers are environmentally friendly.

A fire sprinkler uses roughly 10 times less water than the fire department would to contain the same fire. Fire sprinklers are environmentally friendly, because they reduce the amount of run-off water and pollution that fire damages cause.

  • Only high temperature smoke will activate a fire sprinkler.

Rest easy! Your cigar or burnt toast will not activate the sprinkler system.

  • Maintenance of a home fire sprinkler system is very easy!

Inspect your home to ensure there are no objects that would prevent the water from successfully spilling out. Do not paint the fire sprinkler or hang anything from it.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration: “Home fire sprinkler systems help to reduce the risk of civilian and firefighter fatalities and injuries, homeowner insurance premiums, and uninsured property losses. Yet—many homes aren’t equipped with automatic sprinkler systems often seen in hotels and businesses. Help members of your community understand the effectiveness and value of having a fire sprinkler system in their homes.”

If disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Central Honolulu provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Oahu. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.

  • 24-Hour Emergency Service
  • Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
  • Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
  • A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
  • Locally Owned and Operated
  • Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment

Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (808) 744-2730

Kitchen Fire

5/1/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Kitchen Fire Devastating Kitchen Fire

The tenant at this property was in a rush to get out the door and accidently left the burner.   The damaged all rooms of this Honolulu home. Our teams worked tirelessly to mitigate the damages. Today you can even tell there was ever a fire.