If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (808) 744-2730

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

7 Common Causes of Fire at Home

8/5/2019 (Permalink)

Cigarettes are one of the leading causes of fire at home.

To better prevent fires, it is important to know the leading causes for them so the proper measures can be taken! Get to know common household practices that can cause and propagate fires.

  • Smoking

According to the National Fire Prevention Association, the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States are cigarettes. A great majority of the fires starts with incandescent ashes or cigarette butts falling into upholstered surfaces. If you smoke, dispose of your ashes properly! Make sure the cigarette is completely out before tossing it into the garbage.

  • Children and Animals

If children or pets are left unattended in the same room as a lit candle, the risks of a fire increase greatly. Make sure to put out candles if you are not in the room with an unattended pet or child. Lighters and matches should similarly not be in close reach of any child. 

  • Dryers

Lint is a great fire-starter. Keep your dryer clean and well-maintained to avoid sparks that could evolve into a fire. Clean your lint filter after each load to minimize risks.

  • Portable Space Heaters

Portable heaters account for a third of all house fires. Make sure flammable items are kept at least 4 feet away from the space heaters. Heaters should not be left unattended or on overnight.

  • Cooking

A lot of house fires happen as a result of using cooking oils, fryers and improper use of microwaves. Never leave a child unattended while cooking, especially if using cooking oil or higher temperatures. Always make sure your stovetop or oven is completely turned off before leaving the kitchen. Keep flames away from loose clothing, paper, and other fabrics

  • Flammable Liquids

Common sense as it may be, keep flammable cleaning agents, paints and adhesives away from heat sources of any kind. Keep them in a ventilated area that is cool.

  • Fireplaces

If you have a fireplace at your home, get it checked out yearly to ensure it is in proper working order. Do not go to sleep with your fireplace on and utilize a screen to prevent sparks from flying off the fire.

If fire damage happens to your property, our team can meet your needs here on Oah’u! We offer safety, maintenance and other services to keep you, your family and your home safe.

Call us at (808) 235-5015 or visit our  website: https://www.SERVPROcentralhonolulu.com/

Other News

View Recent Posts