Hurricane Season Is Upon Us... How To Prepare the Outside Of Your Home
The beautiful islands of the Pacific don't often see damage from hurricanes, but it is still possible. Hurricane Iniki left over 6,000 homes damaged with displaced families. This devastation left a real impact on Hawaii families. Luckily, we have the time now to prepare before the next storm. Here are some recommendations from SERVPRO of Central Honolulu and FEMA.
How to Prepare The Outside Of Your Home
- Fortify your roof
- Inspect your roof at the start of each hurricane season. Repair any shingles that are loose.
- When installing a new roof, consider opting for impact-resistant shingles and hurricane clips.
- Trim or remove unhealthy trees
- Dead, damaged and rotting trees pose a risk to homes in high winds. Maintain these trees on a regular basis to prevent damage.
- Seal cracks and gaps
- Make sure that water can't easily find ways into your home. Secure cracks around doors and windows with caulking or weather stripping
- Anchor any outdoor fuel tanks
- If you have any outdoor tanks, like propane or other heating sources, make sure they are secured to prevent then from turning or sliding
Should you need help after a storm, contact your locally owned and operated SERVPRO of Central Honolulu as your trusted mitigation and restoration experts. Call us anytime at 808-235-8105.