Hurricane Season Is Upon Us... How To Prepare the Inside Of Your Home
The beautiful islands of the Pacific don't often see damage from hurricanes, but it is still possible. Hurricane Iniki left over 6,000 homes damaged with displaced families. This devastation left a real impact on Hawaii families. Luckily, we have the time now to prepare before the next storm. Here are some recommendations from SERVPRO of Central Honolulu and FEMA.
How to Prepare The Inside Of Your Home
- Review your insurance policy
- By understanding your coverage before the storm, you can save yourself some headache and anxiety during the heat of the storm allowing you to focus on what matters most. This can also provide help after the storm, if and when you need to file a claim.
- Document your homes contents now
- Take a few moments to take detailed photographs of your valuable possessions. Its also a good idea to walk through your home in a video to take note of the majority of your home. Photos and videos can be of great help so snap away!
- Protect windows and glass doors
- Reinforce windows with storm shutters to prevent windows from breaking under the high winds and possible debris. Another option is to add shatter-resistant film to windows.
- Build a Safe Room
- Even if your home is up to code, you may find comfort in adding a safe room for extra protection. A safe room is built to withstand higher pressures that can come with severe storms and is designed to protect you and your family.
Should you need help after a storm, contact your locally owned and operated SERVPRO of Central Honolulu as your trusted mitigation and restoration experts. Call us anytime at 808-235-8105.