Recent Water Damage Posts
Three Steps You Must Take Before a Storm to Help Prevent Damage
- Fix any damaged parts of your roof
The roof of your property should get a check up every year, especially after major weather events such as hail storms, for signs of deterioration. Fix all of the broken, misplaced and cracked tiles; remove any dirt buildup, for those can block the drainage channels. If your roof sheeting is damaged, it may need to be replaced. Any beam of light shining through the roof may be a sign that your roof membrane is damaged. Keep in mind that working on a roof can be dangerous, be careful when inspecting the area or contact an expert roofer.
- Make sure your insurance policy is adequate
Consider the type of coverage you will need. Make sure your insurance provides cover for weather events that are specific to your geographic location. These may include but are not limited to: flash flooding, storm runoff, landslide, and damage caused by falling trees or branches.
- Listen and comply with information broadcast by your local radio station and weather warning systems
Local radio stations will always broadcast weather information specific to the area in which you reside. Listening to such channels will help you identify areas you should avoid due to flash flooding, road closures, recovery centers and evacuation pathways. In the case of a storm, make sure you are prepared to be without power and have battery operated lights and radios. Be compliant with the information provided in emergency preparedness packets and stay safe!
Storms can hit at any point, and cause varying amounts of trouble. If any damage happens to your property, our team can meet your needs here on Oah’u! We offer safety, maintenance and other services to keep you, your family and your home safe.
Call us at (808) 235-5015 or visit our website: https://www.SERVPROcentralhonolulu.com/
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Materials removed from bedroom
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Central Honolulu provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Central Honolulu arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (808) 744-2730
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious bio-hazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and bio-hazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Here is an Example of What We Did
A rental property in Kaneohe had a faulty water-supply line in the upstairs bathroom. The tenant was off island, so the leak was not detected until the tenant in the lower unit noticed discoloration on the ceiling. Upon inspection we found that the ceiling was saturated. We went upstairs and found that the flooring was beginning to cup and the lower wall drywall was saturated. We located the source in the bathroom. We began mitigation which included removing the ceramic tile in the bathroom, laminate flooring in the upstairs bedroom, and the lower 2 feet of drywall in the bedroom. We also had to remove the ceiling in the lower unit living room. We were successful at removing the affected materials and we were able to dry out the wood structure. We had our reconstruction team replace all removed materials. They reinstalled the ceiling, flooring, and sink vanity bringing a new life to the units affected.
About SERVPRO of Central Honolulu
SERVPRO of Central Honolulu specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
For Immediate Service in Oahu, Call SERVPRO of Central Honolulu
With immediate response we can prevent the water from spreading to the surrounding areas
We received a call about an accident that just occurred. The kitchen sink faucet was turned on, but then forgotten about, and the water was running long enough for the sink to fill up, and spill onto the floor. The tenant returned from running an errand to find the faucet running, and water spilling onto the carpet. The tenant immediately called us and we were able to get there within an hour. We were able to extract the water from the carpet before the water had a chance to spread throughout the rest of the house. Since they called us immediately we were able to mitigate the loss and no demolition or replacement of any materials was needed.
SERVPRO of Central Honolulu provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Oahu. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (808) 744-2730
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
Oahu Residents: Follow These Safety Tips If You Suspect Sewage Water
Affected drywall removed
If you see visible sewage, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the bacteria throughout your home. When bacteria is disturbed, the bacteria can become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Central Honolulu for sewage water remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the area.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected sewage water.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
We received a job in a condo in Salt Lake. The unit had a Sewage Drain pipe break. The Sewage Drain pipe leaked into their unit affecting their hallway, bathroom, and bedroom. Because the water was from a drain pipe it is considered category 3 water. Category 3 water is considered grossly contaminated, which means everything that is affected by category 3 water is considered unsalvageable. The pipe break was right above the floor. The water leaked across the top of the tile, and ran along the lower part of the drywall. Fortunately, the tile was sealed which stopped the water from getting underneath of it. Since the IICRC standard states that all affected materials are unsalvageable we had to perform a 2 foot flood cut on the drywall to remove the affected drywall. We also needed to remove the sink vanity because the bottom and sides were swollen. We performed services by removing all affected materials, bio-washing the floor to sanitize the tile, removing the affected drywall, and sanitizing the steel framing. Once all the procedures were complete and everything cleaned up, our reconstruction team was able to replace the drywall.
About Our Sewage Water Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Central Honolulu specializes in sewage water damage cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your water problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Sewage, Call Us Today – (808) 744-2730
Don't let it happen to you
Leaky Pipes, Big Problems
Pipes are everywhere, in our homes, businesses, warehouses, shopping centers, schools etc. These vital parts of modern convince are critical for everyday life. However, if they malfunction, they can cause substantial water damage and unwanted interruption to your life or business. SERVPRO of Central Honolulu sees common factors in many of the floods that we mitigate. To lower your odds of suffering from a flood damage from these common factors follow these 3 helpful tips.
- Change out your water supply lines regularly. Supply lines from the toilet, washing machine, dish washer, refrigerator, etc. become brittle and leak or break completely allowing water damage in surrounding areas.
- Don’t ignore troublesome toilets, it could be a tell-tale sign of a bigger problem just waiting to happen. If your toilet isn’t working properly call your plumber now, it could save you from a sloshy, smelly, expensive mess.
- Consider shutting off your water supply if you are leaving town. Pipes that are not in use are still able to rupture and spill thousands of gallons of water into your property. Nobody wants to come home to a swimming pool in their living room.
If these unfortunate situations find their way into your world call on us. Mitigation professionals are here to help 24 hours a day.